Skip to content

Pope Francis is Destroying Me (in a Good Way)

December 5, 2013

20131205-174029.jpg

Every day it seems there is another phenomenal story in the media about Pope Francis. It shouldn’t be so surprising to see someone act in such a Christlike manner and yet the actions of this man have caused the world at large to sit up and take notice.

Being a fairly outspoken Catholic, I’m often asked what I think about Pope Francis. People sometimes ask because they’ve heard of his seemingly endless charity. Others ask because they’ve heard media distortions of the Pope’s comments that lead them to believe that he is fundamentally changing Catholicism (clearly this guy bought that argument, sigh).

If I’m to answer the question honestly I have to point to how often Pope Francis challenges my heart. It’s like he shines a light on my soul, which is often more willing to engage in my faith from an armchair and a keyboard, not reaching out to the “least of these” around me. He puts my priorities in perspective and challenges me to stop holding on so tightly to the world. He reminds me what joy looks like and how fleeting many of our troubles really are. And it hurts in the best way possible. We all need to be destroyed a little bit (ok, a lot bit). We need to shatter the idol of self and turn our gaze outward. Once you see an authentic example of this, there’s just nowhere to hide.

While New Media has certainly helped spread the word of Pope Francis’s Christ-like deeds, it is the deeds themselves that have garnered the attention. There is a lesson to be learned from this for all of us engaging in New Media, and it is a message that spans the history of Christendom itself.

1 If I speak in human and angelic tongues* but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3

In this season of Advent, as the Church awaits the celebration of the birth of Jesus, I hope we look to the example of Pope Francis and understand that the world at large is also awaiting Christ in you and me. Pope Francis has showed us the way. Daily, he is teaching us what evangelism means. He, and the world, now await our hands and feet to follow his example and bring Christ into their midst.

“Go…” (Matthew 28:19).

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. June 5, 2014 7:10 am

Studied this fabulous site and invested in a steam shower and never glanced back, magnificent info on this
    website cannot give thanks enough

2. August 1, 2014 3:34 pm

An application is available on line at Maryland State Dental Association. Owning the track record in science will enable you with the jobs that
    you will want to do on a daily basis. Getting a smile makeover in Essex is within your
    reach but you have to conquer your fear of the dental clinic first.

3. August 1, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and definitely will come back very
    soon. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a
    nice morning!

4. August 1, 2014 11:50 pm

Their findings have concluded that “while fish consumption tended to reduce the
    overall prostate cancer risk, the most dramatic impact was on metastatic prostate cancer risk.
    It contains a different omega-3 fatty acid known as a ALA, or alpha-linolenic acid.
    That is one of the biggest benefits for defending yourself against heart disease and stroke.

5. August 2, 2014 1:01 am

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have
    any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was
    hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no back
    up. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?

6. August 2, 2014 7:16 am

hello!,I like your writing very a lot! proportion we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL?
    I require a specialist in this house too resolve my problem.
    Maybe that iss you! Looking ahead to see you.

7. August 11, 2014 3:53 am

Never before heard of a steam shower enclosure until finally I came upon this incredible website,
    so thankful I did so actually want one now and finance allowing will
    likely be going to get one in the near future

8. September 14, 2014 7:18 am

Greetings from California! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your
    blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..

I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, amazing blog!

9. September 27, 2014 9:50 am

Studied this incredible website and invested in a steam shower
    and never looked back again, terrific content on this site cannot thank you enough

10. October 5, 2014 11:30 am

Was initially in actual fact looking for just a typical shower enclosures before I stumbled upon this page,
    did not have any idea there were such a thing as a ‘steam shower enclosure’, really,
    will probably just may have to get one